[MPlayer-users] DVDs do lag a lot...

E.Fernandez at ukc.ac.uk E.Fernandez at ukc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 15:46:02 CEST 2002

Quoting Tim Korves <mplayer at lists.korves.com>:

> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Hi there... I've got a problem on playing DVDs on my RedHat 8.0 Linux
> on
> my Athlon TB 1400 Box with 768MBRam and a Toshiba DVD-Rom. All DVDs
> are
> lagging... Approx every one or two secs the video and audio is
> lagging... That's the message I get everytime I start playing a DVD:
>
> <Paste>

Probably a problem of dma not enable.
Use hdparm -d1 /dev/hd? to enable it. If you have a i845 chipset, it can be
impossible to solve, since the 2.4 kernel series has problems with it. There are
patches, but they are not available for all versions of that kernel. That issue
will be solved with the 2.6 kernel (released at the end of the month).
I remember that the kernel in the slackware was ok with that chipset.