[MPlayer-users] mencoder, libavcodec and b-frames

Oeystein Olsen oystein.olsen at astro.uio.no
Wed Oct 9 16:17:02 CEST 2002

Hi, I've recently started experimenting with b-frames and libavcodec. With
b-frames I always get a segmentation fault. I do not get the message saying
mplayer/mencoder has crashed and I should read the manual and about
testing/bugreporting. That has happened, it has always been me doing
something stupid.

I'm using vmax_b_frames option to get b-frames. The crash happens independent
of what value this option is set equal to, and always in pass 2. I've
downloaded the latest cvs from mplayer and ffmpeg. This doesn't change
anything. I've downloaded and installed gcc-2.95.3. I'm using redhat 8.0, so
I thought that they might done something similar to their 2.96-version.
The crashes happens at the exact same moment.
	So for a given set of options, mencoder crashes at a time independent
of the version of mplayer/mencoder, libavcodec and gcc. With different options
and different movies the time changes, but is not affect by the versions of
mplayer, gcc, libavcodec.

The part encoded before the crash looks perfectly good, but is usally only
10-60s long.

I've included an example on how I've tried to use b-frames. The encoding works
extremly well without b-frames. I've tried turning off cropping, and scaling
but it still crashes in pass 2. I usually use ac3-sound instead of mp3, but
that does not affect the result.

1: Can anybody see if I do something wrong?
2: If not, should I file a bugreport? I'll make one later this evening. (The
machine is back home and I must reread the documents on bugreporting first.)

#Ripping the movie
> mplayer -dvd 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile ripped_dvd

# Soundfile
> mencoder -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=192
-alang en ripped_dvd

# First pass
>mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1494:vhq:vmax_b_frames=2:vpass=1 -vop
crop=632:264:2:48,scale -zoom -xy 640 -sws 2 -oac copy -o /dev/null
ripped_dvd

# Second pass, crashes with a segmention fault.
> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1494:vhq:vmax_b_frames=2:vpass=2 -vop
crop=632:264:2:48,scale -zoom -xy 640 -sws 2 -oac copy -o the_movie.avi
ripped_dvd

--
Øystein Olsen, oystein.olsen at astro.uio.no, http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no