[MPlayer-users] mga_vid shows only green area

tdc tdc at phreaker.net
Thu Oct 10 11:23:01 CEST 2002

>  Green image using mga_vid (-vo mga / -vo xmga):
>    - mga_vid misdetected your card's RAM amount, reload it using
>      mga_ram_size option
>
>Have you tried something like
>
>  insmod mga_vid mga_ram_size 16
>
>(assuming your G400 has 16MB RAM)?
>

>>I've tried both compiled in main matroxfb and matroxfb as
>>modules. Other matrox specific parts (matroxfb_crtc2 and matroxfb_maven)
>>were always as modules.
>>

>-vo mga works under X as well, it is independent of matroxfb.
>
>Diego

Thanx for help. I didn't tested this, but I suspected this to be the
bug. I cannot test it now, but I have remote access to the machine and
here is some info:
The card is G400DH and it SHOULD BE 32M SGRAM, but I'm pretty confused
with some infos different tools gave me. Here is why:

matroxfb on init says:
---
matroxfb: Matrox G400 (AGP) detected
matroxfb: MTRR's turned on
matroxfb: 640x480x8bpp (virtual: 640x26208)
matroxfb: framebuffer at 0xD4000000, mapped to 0xc8805000, size 16777216
---
so it looks it initialized as with 16MB

Now the mga_vid on init:
---
mga_vid: Found MGA G400/G450
mga_vid: MMIO at 0xc992f000 IRQ: 9  framebuffer: 0xD4000000
mga_vid: OPTION word: 0x50044120  mem: 0x10  SGRAM
mga_vid: detected RAMSIZE is 32 MB
syncfb (mga): IRQ disabled in mga_vid.c
---
this says the board has 32MB

Now let's see what lspci says:
---
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
(rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G400 Dual Head 16Mb
Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Memory at d6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at d7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [f0] AGP version 2.0
---
Now the "Subsystem" line says it's 16MB version, but "Memory" field
shows 32MB space

And if I remember well, Matrox tools on Windows98 said it's 32Meg
version too. Maybe the different numbers out there are because the
memory is splitted to 16MB for each head in default config or any other
reason I don't know about.

Actually, I don't care about the size of RAM. The only use of this card
is to play videos on TV, that's why I've bought it (and I know even 4MB
card can play everything I had so far), thus the only thing needed is to
tweak the initialization of all modules to work (with second head
enabled as TV-Out) and it's not important if the card will be run in
32MB or 16MB setup. So what now? Force the modules to 16MB?

Dave