[MPlayer-users] Codec support request for EV/EV2 videos

tdc tdc at phreaker.net
Thu Oct 10 19:00:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hi,
>
>read codecs.html about what do we need for new codec support.
>especially we need the extracted DLLs from windows player and some info from
>registry. don't expect us to install windows, install the player and do it,
>we won't ever install windoze.

Sure I know about codecs.html. The problem is elsewhere. The player is
standalone application in form of Java applet (don't know if standalone
windows application even existed so far - it was aimed as web-only video
format) and the decoding routines are not registering themselves because
they are coded directly in the class files, thus there are no DLLs which
can be extracted. This player (packed in CAB or JAR, but in both cases,
it's still Java application) is the only one i know about. Sure there
was some windows based encoder, but it's already abandoned and it was
commercial software anyway.

Personally, I think they just used some modified version of common video
format and some inspection of a sample video may show if i'm right or
not. I'd like to provide more information, but the only things I have
are videos and Java player. Not much to explore. I can upload one small
(16782 bytes) EV2 clip if somebody is interested to look at it.

Is there any chance to support this? Should I try somebody to hack out
something out of those Java classes? Or anything else? I'm really out of
ideas what i can try more. And I don't like to start appletviewer
everytime I want to see the clips (and I don't want to start X at all).

Dave