[MPlayer-users] What happened to upsampling and can I get it back?

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Mon Oct 14 19:14:03 CEST 2002

I've had my soundcard connected via an optical cable to an amplifier
for some time now. However, the soundcard only outputs through digital
outputs if the sample rate is 44100Hz or 48000Hz. So, to get other
sampling rates, mostly 22050, 24000 and 32000Hz working, I used to use
-aop list=resample:fout=44100 (or 48000). But now it doesn't work very
well any more (audio is lowered, chicks become basses and movie is
slowed) and documentation has been updated to say that this will happen
if you upsample and you shouldn't upsample.

So really, my question is: why no more upsampling and can I get it back?