[MPlayer-users] ATI FireGL 8700 with radeon_vid

Stefan Lange hoirkman at gmx.de
Mon Oct 14 22:39:02 CEST 2002

Peter Metzler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a FireGL 8700 which is based on ATI R200 QH chip.
> I have tried this card with the radeon_vid module and for two sedconds
> it works but then i get garbage in the
> window for 0.5 seconds and then it works again for two seconds and so on.

I saw exactly the same behaviour some time ago, when I tried the ATi
binary drivers. My card is a R200 QL (8500LE).

I haven't used these binary drivers anymore in a while now, however.
IIRC, -vo vesa:vidix _did_ work correctly for me back then.

> My Machine:
> 2 x Pentium III 1000 MHz
> 1 x SCSI DVD
> 640 MB
> Kernel 2.4.18
> XFree86-4.2.1
> Debian Woody stable
>

> It would be greate if soemeone can tell me how to get this card to work
> with radeon_vid because
> neither xfree86 4.2.1 nor GATOS project supports this card so I have to
> use the binary only driver package from ati
> but this driver doesn't support Xvideo.

Have you tried if the latest DRI-CVS-code supports your card? I think
the DRI project would be glad to get feedback from 8700/8800-users
anyway, as nobody seems to have tested the code on such a card yet, only
on different versions of 8500-cards.
It's worth a try, I guess. If you don't want to compile from CVS
yourself, there's also daily snapshots of the trunk available at
http://dri.sf.net