[MPlayer-users] CPU optimization

Roberto De Leo deleo at unica.it
Tue Oct 15 12:21:02 CEST 2002

Hi,
I would like to compile an mplayer binary able to run on most
Pentium/Celeron
and Athlon/Duron CPUs and at the same time with the highest CPU optimization
possible.

I have been suggested to compile with the options

--enable-mmx --enable-mmx2 --enable-3dnow --enable-3dnowex --enable-sse
--enable-sse2

but the binary I get refuses to play already on the machine I compiled it in
( CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1GHz,
  CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat
                     pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow,
  video card: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE QY,
  compiler: gcc 3.2)

I looked in the DOCS but I could not find any info on the behaviour that
the optimization
options are supposed to have.

In particular: an mplayer binary compiled with support for, say, SSE is
it supposed to work
on a machine with a CPU that does not supoprt that flag?

In other words, the crash in my AMD 1GHz machine of the mplayer compiled
with the CPU
optimization above it is exactly what was supposed to happen or it is
some kind of bug?

Thanks,
 Roberto De Leo