[MPlayer-users] CPU optimization

Roberto De Leo deleo at unica.it
Tue Oct 15 13:42:02 CEST 2002

> for the best performance optimize it for a given single cpu.
> p1, celeron, p4 and athlon are very different, is not possible to make binary
> which run optimal on all them.

Thanks a lot for your fast and effective reply about the
--enable-runtime-cpudetection option!!!

But I'm a little confused: I tried compiling with your option
and of course it works, so that, as far as I understand, mplayer
automatically chooses which optimizing CPU flags to use depending
on the CPU is running on.

So why do you say that it is not possible to make a binary which
runs optimal on all them?
The one I just built with the option you told me [and all cpu
flags on] seems exactly that.
Where am I wrong?