[MPlayer-users] Re: Split an Mencoder Divx with vbr mp3 audio

martin pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Oct 15 21:36:02 CEST 2002

 --- Kim Minh Kaplan <kmkaplan at selfoffice.com> escribió: > [Automatic
answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Green, Shaun writes:
>
> > But it's MUCH less intuitive and harder to setup and get the right
> aspect
> > ratio. By specifying crop, then scale, yes you actually are scaling
> first,
> > which gets the aspect ratio correct, then you crop the black bars
> away. This
> > is intuitive and easy to understand.
>
> You can use something like scale=640:-2,crop=... to automatically get
> the correct aspect.  Off course this will not make the height a
> multiple of 16.  Maybe there should be some options for scale to get
> some modulo values.  This was discussed some times ago but I think no
> conclusion was reached.
>
> Just in case you want to know, in scale=W":H",crop=W':H' with a movie
> size of WxH (usually 720x576 or 720x480) with an aspect A (usually 4/3
> or 16/9), you have the following relation:
>
>  W"        H     W'
> --- = A * --- * ---
>  H"        W     H'
>
> Mmm, I think I'm gonna write my encoding cookbook...
>
> Kim Minh.

Hi Kim !!!!

That's an excelent idea !!!! I'd like very much to read it. In the
meantime, can you confirm that the order of the options is important?
-vop scale=640:352,crop=704:460:8:8 is not equal to
-vop crop=704:460:8:8,scale=640:352? I couldn't find anything about this
in docs (Please, don't blame me, I didn't find it, I don't say it is not
there).

By the way, the first case is a real one; the resulting movie looks
fine (well almost fine, there is a problem that I submit to the list)
but this values  don't verify your relation but I think they are the usual
values

640/352=1.81

16/9 * 480/720 * 704/460 = 2.05

(may be 460 is not multiple of 16?)