[MPlayer-users] CPU usage ?

Henric Andersson ha at thedudes.nu
Tue Oct 15 22:23:02 CEST 2002

> > A quick question that I seem unable to find an answer to in the docs....
> >
> > Why does mplayer use 80-90% of cpu power when decoding a movie to vesa
with
> > vsync enabled and only 20-30% with vsync disabled? I got the
measurements
> > from top, so it might not be very accurate :) But it would be nice with
some
> > info on this.
> >
> > Is mplayer busywaiting to perform the vsync? (Not likely)
> yes. no other way unless you implement kernel driver (with card specific
IRQ
> handler) for it.

Okay, I have no problem with it :) I was just worried that maybe some movie
in the future would make the playback go real slow (since I use vesa and not
a card specific driver). So essentially, I still have 60-80% cpu power left
(ie, mplayer would busywait less if it took longer to decode, but it would
still manage to keep up with the framerate). If so, it's great news and I
can continue working on my little project :-)

/Henric