[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD Playback problems (lots of info provided...)

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Wed Oct 16 07:15:02 CEST 2002

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Phil, I'm in that case too. I have AMD 1.4 GHz, Geforce 4 and recent
> DVD player.
>
> could you check 'hdparm /dev/hdx' output and check if using_dma is
> 1(on) ?
> on some distributions, this is disabled by default and you must set it
> explicitely into /etc/sysconfig/harddisk*.

OK, so Shaun emailed me this directly, and I kinda said "yeah I did
that"... but it occured to me that perhaps the -I ouput wasn't the
same... and what do you know... it's not. So now I have set up both my
HD and my DVD to 'using_dma=1' and since Debian doesn't have
/etc/sysconfig, I made an init script to do it for me on boot each time.

So that leaves me with a few questions:

1. I'm now using:
gmplayer -ao oss -vo xv -cache 8192
and playback is much better... but audio is still fractionally behind
video. It's rather annoying. I've tried -ao alsa9 and get the same
result. So I guess that's:
   1a. Anyone know which is better: alsa9 or oss?
   1b. Anyone know how to fix my video sync probs.

2. If I choose a specific 'chapter' (instead of just saying "DVD -> open
disk") then mplayer shows a bunch of garbled video and then crashes and
says "mplayer crashed, this shouldn't happen" I will submit a core
either now if someone really wants, or if not then after I get
video/audio sync problems cleared up.

3. How come I can't get MENUs like on a tv-based DVD player or a win or
mac DVD player? Am I missing something obvious? I don't see this option
and playing the DVD from mplayer skips the menus and foes straight to
the first scene.

Thanks everyone,
Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica
http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/     http://www.ipom.com/

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759