[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD Playback problems (lots of info provided...)

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Wed Oct 16 10:00:03 CEST 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:04:35 -0700
Phil Dibowitz <phil at ipom.com> wrote:

> > Blocked by an other program ? arts ? esd ? RTFM (afaik this is in the FAQ)
>
> Hmmm, perhaps you know something I don't, but:
> 1. Given that MPlayer 0.9pre8 worked fine in oss mode, I'd figure it's
> not this... and I mentioned that in the bug report
> 2. I don't use ARTS or ESD. I'm using ALSA9 only with no ESD or ARTS.

Could not open audio device means that either there is no audio driver
(dont think so) or that there is an other process holding it open.
check with lsof or fuser whether any other process has a filehandle on it.

You said it worked with 0.90pre8, so try it again. If it works, it's
an mplayer bug.

> > -ni and -*idx are not for dvds (they are thought mostly for avis)
> > and i dont think you need -mc 0 for dvd either (if it's not
> > a really bad mastered dvd)
>
> The documentation mentioned this was most applicable to AVI's but I did
> not understand that it was _only_ for AVIs (or atleast that it was not
> for DVDs).

Well, i dont blame you for this. It needs a bit of understanding of
the different video formats and of the inner working of mplayer
to know such stuff. At least you have read the docu and tried
something that might have worked.

> > Wow! A complete bugreport! :-)
>
> I'm a (small) OSS developer myself, and considered posting to the
> advanced users list , but I'm really new to video and audio in linux (my
> linux experience is mostly with servers or work workstations where all I
> used were xterms)... so I'm not really an advanced MPlayer user...

At least you can read and understand instructions ;)

> Some more info:
> 1. The FAQ mentions making sure the drive is in DMA mode. It's in UDMA2
> (i.e. UDMA33) according to hdparm -I.

just do a hdparm /dev/hdX, if it says dma is switched on, it's ok.
Also 32bit io may give some additional performance (though it's not
that much).

		Attila Kinali

--
It must have been some unmarried fool that said "A child can ask questions
that a wise man cannot answer"; because, in any decent house, a brat that