[MPlayer-users] Can't get AC3 sound with alsa and cmipci

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Mon Oct 21 19:13:02 CEST 2002

So, I  have a freshly  compiled (just in case)  MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.4,
and while I can get sound for my video files on disk, I can't get AC3 to
work for a DVD with alsa9 and  cmipci (I have the zoltrix card with both
analog and SPDIFF out)

I've already gotten digital SPDIFF to  work with normal sound files, but
mplayer will not initialize sound for DVDs:
merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -dvd 1
MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon K75 Pluto,Orion (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE
(...)
Detected audio codec: [a52] afm:liba52 (AC3-liba52)
Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
No accelerated IMDCT transform found

DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 8268994 bytes) video packets in the buffer!
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For .AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A52 sync failed
ADecoder init failed :(
Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> no sound

merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -ac a52 -dvd 1
Yields:
Forcing audio codec: [ac3] afm:libac3 (AC3)
Requested audio codec family [ac3] (afm=libac3) not available (enable it at compilation!)
Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> no sound

For the life  of me, I can't find  how I was supposed to  enable this at
compilation time...

Of course, the one I really want is hwac3:
merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -ac hwac3 -dvd 1
Forcing audio codec: [hwac3] afm:hwac3 (AC3 through SPDIF)
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3 pass-through SP/DIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found

DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 8268994 bytes) video packets in the buffer!
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For .AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A52 sync failed
ADecoder init failed :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks,