[MPlayer-users] pre8 dosen't get along with xvid

mplayerlist at ever.mine.nu mplayerlist at ever.mine.nu
Mon Oct 21 20:32:02 CEST 2002

ON Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:11:30 -0400
 - Anish Mistry <mistry.7 at osu.edu> WROTE:
 - Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Bugs r.e. xvid

> On Monday 21 October 2002 02:09 am, mplayerlist at ever.mine.nu wrote:
> >
> > With both pre8 and CVS-021021-00:00-3.0.4 the following bugs persist.
> > This did not happen in pre6 at all, which still works.
> >
> > Configured to use xvid, mencoder does not work.
> > If mplayer can play IN.avi just fine, then
> >
> > $ mencoder IN.avi -ovc divx4 -oac copy -divx4opts br=1600:key=250 -o OUT.avi
> > fails immediately, leaving an empty file, with the following error output
> > .[FULL output below at [*1]
> > .
> > Writing AVI header...
> > tst.avi: error writing file.0fps Trem:   0min 713mb  A-V:0.007 [0:0]
> > Exiting...
> > .
> I also ran into this problem.  If you disable lavcodec support when you
> configure it, xvid will work again.  This was the only work around I could
> find.
>
> 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #10: Thu Oct 17 17:49:34 EDT 2002

Glad it's not just me. Still, disabling libavcodec is quite unfortunate, as
It is such an excellent player. The decore in xvid still seemed to have
some problems last time I tried it.

Also,  on my system

$ mencoder  -dvd 1 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -divx4opts br=1400:key=250 -lameopts br=64:cbr -o $TITLE

Does NOT crash as above, but instead produces a severely corrupt/distorted
.avi that is esentially unwatchable/useless. Extremely blocky/staticy, HORRIBLE quality.
If I run the old pre6 mencoder, it still works fine.
I have even tried recompiling both of them, in case something had gone wrong with my
xvid headers or somesuch. Fresh compiles of pre6 work, pre8 is fscked up.