[MPlayer-users] record from TV ( v4l ) with sound

root btobi at web.de
Mon Oct 21 23:12:02 CEST 2002

It is very easy to record sound from a TV-input-source ( v4l ). The only
thing you need is a soundcard that supports FULL DUPLEX!!! Your
soundcard must be able to record sound while it is playing. If you
already tryed to record from your tuner ( not composite ) you would hear
the sound of the TV but it doesn't record at the same time. You have to
check out if your soundcard offers the two  following options : "
snd_dma1 and snd_dma2 " Y
( You need two direct memory access channels for recording and playing
at the same time )
Even older soundcards often support full duplex. I have got an AMD
InterWave soundcard from 1995 and recording works fine.
Further you have to enable the full duplex option of your soundserver
under KDE ( I'm using KDE 3.0.2 and SuSE 7.3 ) There is a special
application in my preference menu called "soundserver" to activate this
option. I'm sure you'll find it! I used the following commandline:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=480:height=200:input=0:outfmt=i420 -vc
rawi420 -vop yuv2 -oac mp3lame -ovc divx4 -o file.avi

Good Luck, enjoy your first self-recorded TV-spot!!!!
Tobias Burkert