[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder: encoding a B&W movie

Oeystein Olsen oystein.olsen at astro.uio.no
Tue Oct 22 11:01:02 CEST 2002

On Monday 21 October 2002 21:46, gabor wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 19:33, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> > > This is completely off topic, but do you know how I can create good
> > > subtitles from vobsub subtitles ? I checked the -dumpmpsub option of
> > > mplayer, but is there a way to do it really fast (ie without having to
> > > play the whole movie) ?
> >
> > I didn't find a way under *nix to produce reasonably good text
> > subtitles from vobsubs. OCR *nix softwares seems either not suited to
> > the task, not powerful enough or both.
> > I'm extracting the vobsub subtitles and simply use them with the .ogm
> > / .avi :
> > 1) rip the DVD to harddisk with "mplayer -dvd 1 -dumpstream"
> > 2) mount the DVD and copy the .ifo file
> > 2) extract all vobsubs to one single file with something like :
> >
> > for f in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ; do \
> >     mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o /dev/null -sid $f -vobsubout
> > sous-titres -vobsuboutindex $f -ifo vts_01_0.ifo stream.dump done
>
> if you can use windows ( i know, i know ) then use "subrip" (
> www.doom9.org ) to convert vobsub => text_sub.
>
> bye,
> gabor

I'm using the steps on the following page to get good subtitles.

http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/separate/subtitles.html#subtitles

You need to download transcode from:

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/

You need to install transcode itself and gocr. Link on the first page.

--
Øystein Olsen, oystein.olsen at astro.uio.no, http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no