[MPlayer-users] record from TV ( v4l ) with sound

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Wed Oct 23 11:51:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:40:55AM +0200, Emmanuel Anne wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Emmanuel Anne wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> >
> > > Get a fresh CVS and try the "forceaudio" option if it does any good for you.
> > > BTW, when you report bugs that appear with the version you modified
> > > yourself, try to mention it more clearly ;)
> >
> > Yeah, sorry about that !
> > I am investigating more deeply on the sound side now, I am going to try
> > the alsa drivers too, and I'll report later.
>
> Ok, it works with the alsa drivers and my modifications. I promise to
> try the cvs version today. It was just because of a crapy soundcard
> which is not fast enough to capture audio with the default drivers.
> Sorry to have annoyed you with this but it was not easy to find...

Can you post your modifications here or on my private mail? I am quite
interested. I guess that the oss driver can be confused when the card cannot
handle the requested samplerate (typically the mobo integrated ac97 crap).
ALSA does a transparent resampling so there's no problem.

> Thanks for this ability to record tv in divx format in real time by the
> way. It really makes mplayer to be an awesome program !
>
> Now just a very little question : is there an easy way to allow mencoder
> to pause the recording, just like what mplayer does when you press the
> spacebar ??? Because if you record a tv show, you don't want to record
> ads, usually, and editing divx videos is not really easy so it's better
> not to record them at all in the first place...

AFAIK no. I currently use VirtualDub under wine for this purpose. It doesn't
work optimally but at least it can do the direct stream copy. The scene
change detector is usually smart enough to put a keyframe at the start and
end of the commercials so it can be cut out very easily.

--
Jindrich Makovicka