[MPlayer-users] Some problems with my DVD-drive

dev_nul dev_nul_nul at gmx.net
Thu Oct 24 12:09:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

I encountered some problems using mplayer. After reading the FaQs and
documentation, I do not get rid of this problem.
I have to say, that I am very new to Linux, so, my questions might sound
a bit dumb for you ;)

Here are my problems:
I am quite sure, that I encounter leaks because of my DVD-drive. I am
using a Liteon-DVDrom, but it seems, that the data-transfer is not
fluently.
Therefore, I tried to enable DMA using hdparm, but it shows the message:

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I tried it with my cd-burner, which is on the same IDE-channel, and for
my burner, it worked.

The other problem is, that I cannot use /dev/dvd, cause it is not
created by Redhat 8.0. I tried to make a link, ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd,
but mplayer, when I try to open the DVD, keeps saying:
Cannot open VMG info.

On the other way, when I simply mount the DVD, exactly these
data-transfer problems appear - is it possible, that mounting results in
less speed?

I also tried different ways to handle my problem, like using more cache,
or less cache, messed around with the audio-settings and video-settings
in the config-file - but no real advantage in speed. Although I disable
sound using -nosound, exactly at that point of time, when the DVD loads
data again into the cache, the movie get's stumbeling.

My specs:
Duron 950 MHz
384 MB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX
(nvidia drivers for opengl-support installed, glx runs)
Redhat 8.0
Gnome

So, any hints for me plz?

Thank you in advance