[MPlayer-users] cuting ads

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 24 16:13:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > Isn't ffmpeg's mpeg4 codec better?
>
> Maybe ! ;-)
> The problem is that there are zillions of variations on these codecs and
> I don't know them all. But by the way msmpeg4v2 is also from ffmpeg
> libavcodec. I could not tell you which one is the best.
> They also support msmpeg4v3 in cvs now...
>
> I assumed msmpeg4v2 meant revision v2 of mpeg4 by ms, and I found it was
> fast enough to encode in real time 25fps 388x284, so I chose it (I
> assumed mpeg4 was the original mpeg4 codec, the very old one).

huh? nonsense.

the time (and quality) order: msmpeg4v1, msmpeg4v2, msmpeg4v3 (aka divx 3.11),
(iso) mpeg4 (aka opendivx/divx4/xvid/divx5).

msmpeg4 isn't really mpeg4, they made it based on early unfinished
iso mpeg4 standard long time (many years) ago.
now, that mpeg4 std is finished, there are standard compliant (more or less)
mpeg4 codecs, like divx4/divx5, xvid, libavcodec's mpeg4, ms's mp4s/m4s2,
ump4, quicktime 6's mpeg4, fame mpeg4 and so on.

the best (most features, best quality) ones are libavcodec's mpeg4, divx5 and xvid

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team