[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding multiple audio streams into one file

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Fri Oct 25 02:00:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:24:31PM +0200, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > or:
> > what does normalizing the audio mean?
>
> Normalizing audio means that the program adjusts the volume of one (or
> more) audio files so that
> a) one file makes maximum use of the available range or
> b) several files have an equal volume.
>
> In this case (normalize used on just one file) it will boost the volume
> for most DVDs (as a lot of DVDs contain very soft audio).

An alternate way of doing that is to use vorbisgain. It will analyze a
Vorbis file and store in 4 ogg comments the gains to be applied while
playing it. The latest OggDS implementation understand and use these
tags. I don't think mplayer use them yet.

http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/ftp/vorbis/
(look at the end of the page, vorbisgain-0.32.zip)

--
Rémi