[MPlayer-users] Windows Media 9 support

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Oct 30 16:02:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> > am I correct in the assumption that WMV3 (Windows Media 9) is not
> > working in the current CVS version of MPlayer?
yes
and don't even expect it in the near future, they dropped directshow and use
a brand new codec API (DMO) not yet reverse engineered.
it also does crypto authentication between their demuxer and codec, to avoid
the divx3 case (they protect their codec by fourcc checking, so ppl couldn't
use msmpeg4v3 codec in avi, so a bad guy changed its fourcc to div3...).
now even if you "steal" their codec, you cannot use it without their asf
demuxer, which does copyright checking etc...

> What's that ? a file format ?
no, a new video (WMV3) and audio (0x162) codec in the good old ASF container
supported by wmp9/wms9 apps

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team