[MPlayer-users] problems with NTSC

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Oct 31 22:40:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:21:17PM +0000, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> Thanks so much for detailed feedback, it was very helpfull.
> I will try without -noskip this night.
>
> Meanwhile 2 questions:
>
> 1)  23.976, 29.97 or 25: what do I choose? MPlayer says my vobs are
> 29.97... How do I know about NTSC dvds? With European dvds I always used
> 25...

Almost all NTSC DVD's are 23.976. The only exceptions are ones that
were originally made for TV broadcast or VHS, e.g. DVD's of TV series,
some anime, etc. MEncoder will make it clear to you very quickly if
you pick the wrong -ofps... :)

> 2) why do you use lavc and not divx4 501?

Because divx is proprietary and sucks. The 'pro' divx5 for windows
arguably has some advantages over lavc, but the basic one and the
linux version are just junk. Tweak -lavcopts and you'll get much
better quality with lavc!

Rich