[MPlayer-users] aspect trouble encoding DVD and interesting bug with scaling

Pierric Descamps pierric at descamps.net
Sun Sep 1 12:38:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've got some trouble while encoding 16:9 DVDs. If I just do mencoder -dvd x -
o somefile.avi some_codec_options, the film is correctly ripped/encoded. BUT
as a 720x576 movie, i.e. the scaling which is normally done by the xv driver
for example (as far as I could understand from mplayer output, "xv: 720x576
Planar ___ => 1024x576 Planar ___") is not done here. I'm using some CVS
version of july 2002, and it did the same with an april version. I can't copy
the output of mencoder at the moment, but it says "applying prescaling" in the
input codec, but nothing like the xv conversion mentionned above.

If you have a solution here other than the one I'me going to mention, please
tell me! Otherwise, be prepared for some strange bug.

I thought it should be okay, then, to mention the scaling on the command line.
So I tried mencoder -scale -zoom -aspect=16:9 and mencoder -scale=1024:576.
Both work, but I get some white dots on the right of the picture, which are
NOT REALLY in the picture, but "over it". If I move the window, the dots stay
where they are, and if I move the window far enough, they disappear, like the
window moves out of under them (I hope this is somehow understandable.....).

One would say: then it's not the movie, it' some driver bug. Probably, but it
only happens with the movies I encode in the described way. All others work
fine as they always did!

I'm clueless and I hope someone will be able to help me. Otherwise I'll have
to encode and re-encode every DVD in order to get it to the right format
(although -aspect while playing also does it, but I like to have "real good
encoded" movies)

Thanks for having read! ;-)

Pierric.