[MPlayer-users] Audio sync drift and possible solution

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Sun Sep 8 03:48:02 CEST 2002

I have an issue with about a quarter of the movies I watch. Although the
system is relatively beefy (1.2GHz Celeron, 128MB RAM, full MTRR settings,
playing from hard drive, etc.), with some movies the audio falls out of sync
slowly. It's a minor drift - a tenth second or so each minute. So, you don't
notice this until 10 minutes of playing time has passed, and it's now about
a second out.

I can resync it easily just by hitting left then right quickly, which leads
me to guess at a possible solution. For each keyframe (or some other
interval in formats that don't have keyframes) would it be possible to
initiate a sync automatically? This would guarantee that it never becomes
large enough to notice.

I can probably make this happen but wanted to check out reactions on the
list in case this sounds like a horrific idea, or others are having a
similar problem. Any thoughts?

By the way, Joy, I noticed you recently made some changes to the audio
handling to better support Alsa9 and AC3->S/PDIF on the SBLive! Let me add
my thanks to those that have already written - this made a world of
difference for me, and I'm now enjoying 2-6 channel playback through this
card. Thanks!

Regards,
Chad