[MPlayer-users] Re: how to evaluate ripped dvd size

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Mon Sep 9 11:53:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:26:50AM +0000, Roberto De Leo wrote:
> I am starting using mencoder to rip my DVDs and I wonder if there is
> any way to evaluate in advance the size of an avi file ripped from a
> dvd as function of the bitrate and/or of the resolution you are
> using.

video size = bitrate * length / 8 * 1000 / 1024 / 1024
audio size = bitrate * length / 8 * 1000 / 1024 / 1024
avi size = video size + audio size (+ audio size...) + avi overhead

avi overhead : actually a function of the DVD length but count 8
MB for a typical DVD
units : size in MB, bitrate in kbits/s, length in s
note : 1 kbit = 1000 bits

--
Rémi