[MPlayer-users] Re: Multiple audio streams

ChristianHJW christianhjw at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 11 10:33:02 CEST 2002

"Jan Engelhardt" <jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0209101759060.9439-100000 at linux01.gwdg.de...
> I heard that an AVI file can have 1 video stream and up to 99 audio
streams.
> How do I pass WAVe files to mencoder, I donot think adding
multiple -audiofile
> will work, will it?

AVI cant have more than one audio stream.

OpenDML AVI could have in principal, but it was never really implemented on
a broad level.

Also, as most Mediplayers cant handle OpenDML AVI correctly ( including WMP
6.4 ) the files you create will be playable correctly in less than 5% of the
PCs on this world, unless you distribute a few good players ( one for each
OS, like mplayer for Linux, BSplayer or TCMP for Windows, etc. ) with your
files that allow switching audio streams. I dont know about mencoder, but
Virtualdub, the most used Windows tools for AVI creation, doesnt even give
you the option to add more than one audio stream, as its closely following
AVI specs. Only modifications like nandub, being based on Vdub, allow for
that, and only for 2 streams.

The better idea IMHO is to drop AVI as container for multiple audio streams,
switch to .ogm as container ( using Vorbis for audio of course and Moritz
Bunkus' app for .ogm creation ) and to distribute only the Windows OggDS
filters with the files for windows users ( even old WMP 6.4 can switch audio
streams of .ogm with this filter ). mplayer can play them correctly in any
case on Linux, with up to 32 billion different audio streams if ever
necessary   :-) .

For the future MCF container might be another good option worth waiting for.
--
Christian

Sites : http://mcf.sourceforge.net
http://sf.net/projects/mcf