[MPlayer-users] Re: -ss switch broken in current 3-pass-mode of mencoder

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Sep 13 11:12:02 CEST 2002

On Friday, 13 September 2002, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > In pass one "-ss 100 -endpos 102" encoding starts at position 100 and
> > ends at 202, giving a total of 102 seconds to encode.
> >
> > In pass two "-ss 100 -endpos 102" encoding starts at position 100 and
> > ends at 102, giving a total of 2 seconds to encode.
> >
> > With "-ss 100 -endpos 98" pass one will encode 98 seconds and pass two
> > will just fail, because it thinks a total of -2 seconds is reqested.
> >
> > So the real problem is that the -endpos parameter is interpreted
> > differently in different places (and it is not even clear in the DOCS
> > whether -endpos means "length" or "end position").
>
> as its name says, it's end position.
> but according your above tests, it seems to be buggy too :(

Hmmm. I was under the impression that it was, in fact, the duration, only
misnamed. And I think it's described as such in manpage. Either way, it
seems it doesn't behave consistently, so it should be fixed and I vote for
having two options, mutually exclusive: -endpos and -duration.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/