[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Mon Sep 16 22:16:02 CEST 2002

On 02.09.16 gabor pressed the following keys:

> > > I haven't posted in a while, but this prompted me to. Arpi, I can understand
> > > the desire for open source drivers, but in the competetive world of video
> > > cards, you can't fault a company for desiring closed drivers to protect their
> > > IP rights.
> >
> > What marketroid bs are you bubling about?
> >
> > Protect IP rights? I thought that NVdidia and the rest of the bunch are
> > about selling the hardware.
> >
> > What you suggest is that if they published sourcecode for their drivers
> > someone (presumably competition) would use those sources for their
> > products to nvidia's disadvantage.
>
> someone told me somewhere that it's problematic to release the driver
> source because it can contains algorithms that may be legally
> problematic etc... and thatway for example ATI could sue NVIDIA about
> some patent issues just to get time to do something, because for that
> time NVIDIA would have to stop distributing their drivers etc....

But not releasing source doesn't undo this ``crime''. So it is not the
question of protecting company's IP. It is rather preventing IP owners
from finding out about theft.

I suspect that there are lots of patented algorithms, GPL licensed
pieces in all those proprietary, binary only programs.

Having some experience with work for software companies I'd say that IP
theft and license violation are rule rather than exception in case of
those businesses.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35