[MPlayer-users] vidix without being root or suid bit?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Sep 17 19:02:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > vidix has nothing with Xfree, dri and others.
> > it's plain raw driver, accessing the hw directly.
> > you must be root to able to do that.
> Doesen't libdha support a kernel helper? Yep, it needs a kernel patch,
> but if you really don't want to make it suid root...

it does, but it doesn't work yet..
it worked for alex but goth reported kernel mem corruption (resulting ext2
fscked up to dead) by it... so it's not recommended :)
afaik Nick fixed it in mpxp tree, but as he made incomp chanegs it probably
won't work with our code... someone who has access to all kind of vidix
cards should port mpxp's vidix to mplayer...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team