[MPlayer-users] Status of TOOLS/subrip.c ?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Tue Sep 17 22:29:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:29:10PM +0200, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:

> > Is subrip.c suppused to be already functional?
> Yes.  I had quite good successes with it (very dependant on the fonts
> they use for subtitles.)

Ah, sound good :)

> > Any Ideas? Maybe this is caused by just a broken/wrong pallette?
> May be...  But it would help if you provided more factual information,
> like what you did, etc...

Hmm, what information do you need? I used:

  $ mencoder foo.vob -oac copy -ovc copy -o /dev/null -sid 0 \
     -vobsuboutid en -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsubout foo
  $ subrip foo 0 bar

The temporary files subrip feeds to gocr look like this one:

  $ od -h subtitle-52439-54714.pgm
  0000000 3550 370a 3032 3220 0a33 3532 0a35 ffff
  0000020 ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  *
  0040260 ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff 000a
  0040277

As you can see, the file is not empty, but all pixels have the same
color. This is the reason that gocr can't find any characters in those
pictures.

Now the question is why all the pixels in those pictures have the same
color.

When I give the vobsub files to mplayer, the subtitles are displayed,
but it is hard to read them. I think this is because there is no .ifo
file where a colours pallette could be read...

Any Ideas?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --