[MPlayer-users] frame selection/editing/stop-encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 18 23:56:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:53:22PM +0200, gabor wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 21:15, heiserer wrote:
> > The reason (I think) why many people are coding for mencoder/mplayer is
> > that
> > it is one of the few really working things.
> > In my eyes, and I am not an expert here, but I think I have some basic
> > understanding
> > how movie data is organized, it might be some work, but it cannot be
> > that hard
> > to support frame based stepping in movie mode. I do not expect all the
> > fancy
> > gui based mark setting, but it should be able to step frame based in
> > pause mode
> > and write down the frame numbers by hand. Also a frame based
> > copying/dropping mode
> > would require only some break up of frames and reencoding. So what? This
> > is one
> > of the key features of an encoder, isn't it?
>
> i think the main problem is that with those features we are nearing the
> place where a GUI tool would be much better...
>
> no, i'm NOT defending gui tools, i really like to use mplayer from
> console ( i don't use gmplayer ), but for cutting out pieces of a video
> a GUI tool is just better.... yes , you can play the video back and
> write down the place to cut and then start mencoder and do it, but it's
> really more convient to open the video file seek to the place you want,
> hit the <begin> button, seek to the next place and hit <end>.

I disagree. It's much nicer to generate an editlist as a text file.
Then you can make revisions to the edit over time if you need to,
without going back and doing all the work over by hand. For example,
say I wanted to make anime music video (not that I would, bleh, but
just for argument's sake :). It would be nice to be able to script the
process based on divx copies of the anime, then perhaps go back later
and make a high quality version with the actual DVD's once they're
released internationally. This is easy with scripting put a pain with
a gui editor.

On the other hand, I can understand that mencoder in its current form
might not be the best too either. Perhaps it would be worth making a
separate movie editor program based on libmpdemux, libmpcodecs, etc.,
but with a separate core from mplayer/mencoder...

Rich