[MPlayer-users] DVDSynth

Samuel Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Tue Sep 24 09:52:02 CEST 2002

Although I do expect most active people here have heard of it, think it is
worth posting it to overcome the risk that some important people haven't.
[Means please don't flame me cos I don't know if you read slashdot or not]

------
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/21/1457246&mode=thread&tid=126

"DVDSynth is a (currently prerelease) low-level driver tool that can sit
between your physical DVD drive and any software that accesses it. So far so
what, but the extremely clever thing about this is that it can filter the
DVD data on the fly. The example applications included currently allow new
subtitle sets to be provided for existing films (which could spawn a whole
new activity for movie buffs!) but also a very neat little filter that will
remove region codes on the fly from any DVD you play. Supplied with full
sourcecode and programmers documentation."

http://www.roundelay.net/dvdsynth/prerelease.html
------

Yes, it currently only supports windows, source is available and a linux
version may be issued.
I do understand that all of it's functionality could be implemented in
MPlayer directly but I still think it is of interest.
I believe it could be beneficial if MPlayer could read it's subtitle files
(may be free source of extra subtitles), and hopefully an "edits" version
will be released and MPlayer could follow the edits file.

Anyway, for what interest it may give, here it is.

Sam