[MPlayer-users] Multiple threads

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Sep 25 08:40:03 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:58:51AM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 21:32, you wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi
> >
> > I was just wondering whether mplayer could actually be modified to
> > spawn multiple threads when playing movies, to speed up on OpenMOSIX
> > clusters made of old machines.
>
> AFAIK, plain Mosix atleast does not migrate threads. And even so, the
> I/O would kill all benefit from having a migrated mplayer process, and
> it would rather stay local than migrate.

Yes, a cluster is tipically not for this purpose. Instead, it's for
purposes, when the work can be devided into several parts which require
quite few communication between nodes ... I think playing a movie is not
in this category :) However it would be very funny to use a large cluster
just for playing movies when the required machine to play an average movie
is not too high nowdays. Encoding movies is another question, but I don't
have enough experience to write opinion about it (ie: can you devide
the encoding process into several quite separated chunks eg in time through
the flow of the movie)

- Gábor (larta'H)