[MPlayer-users] Two graphicscards..

Martin Emrich martinemrich at gmx.net
Wed Sep 25 16:40:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:47:20 +0200
Per Wigren <wigren at home.se> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi!
>
> I have a G4 MX460 card which is great for desktop and 3D, but the
> TV-out sucks.. I just can't get rid of those ugly black borders and I
> can't make it overscan.. :(  nvtv doesn't recognize the chip either..
> :(
>
> So... I'm thinking of getting a cheap SIS-305 PCI-card which is
> supposed to have great TV-out!
>
> Does anyone here know if it is possible to run two X-servers, one
> using the G4 on my monitor, and the other one using the PCI SIS on my
> TV?

Hi!

I'm running dual-head here with no problem. Insert a second set of
configuration
data into your XF86Config-4, just like here:

----
Section "Device"
	# your first adapter
	Identifier "card1"
	Driver "nvidia" # ...
	BusID "PCI:1:0:0" # for agp cards, check "lspci -v" for your values
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "monitor1"
	# stuff for your primary monitor
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "screen1"
	Device "card1"
	Monitor "monitor1"
	#other stuff like modes, depth,...
EndSection

Section "Device"
	# your second adapter
	Identifier "card2"
	Driver "whatever" # ...
	BusID "PCI:xx:yy:zz" # same here: insert decimal values here, lspci
			     # reports hex values !
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "screen2"
	# stuff for your secondary monitor
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "screen2"
	Device "card2"
	Monitor "monitor2"
	#other stuff like modes, depth,...
EndSection

Section "SeverLayout"
	Identifier "nifty-dualhead"
	Screen "screen1" # Your primary screen, x/k/gdm will login here
	Screen "screen2" RightOf "screen2" # for other placements->manpage
	# Option "Xinerama" "on" # for using both as one big screen
EndSection
---

If everything went fine, you can use your primary screen like before,
and use

	mplayer ... -fs -display :0.1

to watch video in fullscreen on the second screen.

HTH

Martin Emrich