[MPlayer-users] [POSSIBLE BUG]MPlayer cannot go with '&'

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 1 06:39:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:26:41AM +0800, ½Ȼ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use '&' to make MPlayer work in the background, but it always halt
> up after it read all the config files. Is this a bug? or there should be
> something add to the FAQ?

No it's not a bug; this is standard behavior that's explained in your
unix manual. :))

If a job reads from terminal while it's backgrounded, it gets
suspended until you put it in the foreground. So if you want it to
work, you need to inhibit reading from the terminal, i.e. do:

mplayer foo.avi < /dev/null &

Rich