[MPlayer-users] More on -ss option

Salman Khilji skhilji at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 08:15:28 CEST 2003

I got no reply to my previous question so I am asking again.

Basically I do not know how to use the -ss (seek to position on seconds)
option.  I have extracted a vob from a dvd using vobcopy.  If I open mplayer
like:

mplayer myvob.vob -ss 20

and immediately pause the player I see :

A:  34.3 V:  34.3 A-V:  0.058 ct:  0.160   20/ 20  17% 10%  1.1% 0 0 0%

on the screen.  There is no connection between 34.3 seconds and 20 seconds.

One would wonder why I want to do this.  Actually I am trying to use mencoder
to extract a few scenes from a vob.  I want to know the beginning of the
scene in seconds and the end of it.  While playing the vob in mplayer I can
see the beginning, but there is no way I can use the number on the command
line.   As you can see there is no correlation between what mplayer displays
and what you have to give it on the command line.

So I end up having to guess what number using the -ss option would take me to
the beginning of the scene.  If my guess is wrong, I increment my
guess....then try again....then sometimes I increment it too much so I have
to go back.....Well all this takes too much time and I would much rather not
guess but have mplayer seek to a position exactly what the -ss option
provides.

Here is my mplayer info:

salman at linux:~> mplayer --version
Using GNU internationalization
Original domain: messages
Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
Current domain: mplayer
Current dirname: /usr/local/share/locale

MPlayer 0.90rc5-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 10)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or
directory
Reading config file /home/salman/.mplayer/config
You added '--' but no filenames presented!
salman at linux:~>