[MPlayer-users] Re: Blotchy Colors (revisited)

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Apr 3 12:00:36 CEST 2003

> For X11 the following modelines should work, provided that your
> GFX-Cards supports interlaced modes, newer NVidia cards don't do that
> anymore:

Shouldn't a non-interlaced mode with half the y-resolution do the job as
well?  Of course you would loose vertical sharpness...  I own a NVidia
card without interlacing support and I'am considering building some
VGA->TV converter

> Also, not all cards support dot clocks that low, for example my ATI
> Rage128 Pro has a minimum dotclock of 12.5Mhz, so the 640x480 at 60i mode
> doesn't work.

Since X11 supports modes with arbitrary aspect ratio, this shouldn't
pose a problem, as you could always define something like 1200x300 to
get the dotclock up into the allowed range, right?  (but would require
software/hardware scaling in mplayer).  Just want to make sure, I don't
end up with a converter which is unusable with my NVidia...

At `www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv' I found also some very
simple designs using RGB scart input instead of doing RGB->YUV
conversion in hardware.  Did anybody try that?  Are there tradeoffs?

BTW sorry for off-topic...

David Kühling