[MPlayer-users] [OT] Serving divx files on NFS, apache or what?

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Apr 5 22:28:11 CEST 2003

> I'm currently serving my divx files using
> Apache and watching them on my notebook. This works out alright but
> there's one catch, mplayer can't seek in a url. I tried serving divx
> files over NFS a long time ago and my impression was that NFS wasn't
> cut out for streaming apps. Anyone tried any other networked
> filesystems for this?

I ocassionally watch .avi divx files over NFS myself, my movie watching
computer is a 733Mhz coppermine, and my other machine is an old Compaq
Prosignia VS (No PCI, 33Mhz system bus, 133Mhz overdrive processor,
yeehaw), over 10mbit ethernet.

Both cdrom (the 2X cdrom in the old machine is so much quieter) and
from the Compaq's HD over NFS works fine, as does it over http and ssh
(ssh me at compaq cat /cdrom/*|mplayer -cache 1024 -), but as you already
discovered, no seeking with http.

You might want to try the -cache option, it smooths out the ocasional
jerk you might get (although I get far more of those from local HD than
NFS...)