[MPlayer-users] alsa dmix and mplayer [2093839347]

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Apr 7 07:20:00 CEST 2003

shrotty at gmx.ch wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to mix the output of mplayer(s) here, but after
> jackd has crashed my server twice, I switched to alsa's dmix. Here's where
> I'm stuck:
>
> I can play multiple streams with aplay as described in alsa-doc (aplay
> -Dplug:dmix sound.wav). However, how can mplayer use this alsa feature?
>
> Here's a little more about my not too new machine:
> i386 (P1), azt2320 soundcard, linux kernel 2.4.20-1, alsa 0.9.2, alsaplayer
> 0.99.74, mplayer 0.90rc5
>
> If it can't be done this way, what other options do I  have?
>
> Any help is very much apprechiated!
>
> Steve

I don't know much about alsa (the docs tend to confuse me), but I do
know that mplayer can output to any existing alsa PCM. For example, if
I define a custom PCM in my .asoundrc called blah, then I can use that
with mplayer -ao alsa9:blah

In your case, this might be as simple as -ao alsa9:plug:dmix.

Hopefully that'll be enough for you to work from.

-Corey