[MPlayer-users] Re: pan from stereo to surround 5.1

Damjan Lango damjan_lango at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 20:17:46 CEST 2003

I am using analog output and OSS drivers.
I am not trying to playback DVD in 5.1 surround, but
normal divx which are just stereo. What I want to do
is to mix left and right channels to the center
speaker, because by default it is silent. I thought
that the "pan" filter could help me with this, but I
found out that I have no idea how to use it because
the documentation is not too helpful in this regard.

Thanks,
Damjan

> Hugo Ferreira wrote:
> I am working under the assumption that you are
trying standard analog output.
> Several of us have already detected this problem. I
you are using "alsa" sound

> drivers, please try the following commands and give
us your feedback. I am
> interested in two things: a) if you get output in
the various speakers. b) if
> you have any A/V synchronization problems. c) Are
your sources back-ups (what
> tool was used) or originals.
>
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer -ao alsa9 -vo xv -dvd 1
-channels 2
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer -ao alsa9 -vo xv -dvd 1
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer -ao alsa9:surround51 -vo xv
-dvd 1 -channels 6
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer -ao alsa9:surround40 -vo xv
-dvd 1 -channels 4

> I have been told that the problem has _not_ been
diagnosed properly. The
> problem could be in the alsa, liba52 or mplayer
code.

wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also
read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to send a stereo audio to 5.1
surround in
> > this way:
> > front left <- left
> > rear left <- left
> > center <- 0.5 left + 0.5 right
> > front right <- right
> > rear right <- right
> > subwoofer <- lowpass filter of (left+right)
> >
> > I tried playing with the pan filter but I don't
seem
> > to make it to work, the documentation in
sound.html,
> > chapter 2.3.2.3.7 is not very explanatory and the
> > examples are strange too. Can somebody write the
pan
> > filter options for a setup like the above?
> >
> > I have a SB Live and if I let the card route the
> > stereo signal then I get nothing in the front
speaker