[MPlayer-users] Animatrix and -delay workaround

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Apr 8 01:22:17 CEST 2003

Clemens Wächter wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:54:57 -0700
> Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
>

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Clemens Wächter wrote:
>>
>>>[...]
>>
>>I think you have an extra step here. Rather than using mencoder -oac
>>pcm, you can just use mplayer -ao pcm. Thus:
>>
>>mplayer -aid 2 -ao pcm -aofile intro.wav detect_640_dl.mov
>>mplayer -aid 1 -ao pcm -aofile main.wav detect_640_dl.mov
>>
>>cat intro.wav main.wav > audio.wav
>>oggenc -r -o audio.ogg audio.wav
>>
>>If the wav headers get in your way, using -nowaveheader with mplayer -ao
>>pcm might work for you.
>>
>>I haven't actually tried this with that particular source material, but
>>I think it'll work and save you some time.
>

> Well, it works, but it doesn't save me time. mplayer still decodes the
> video. (ok, I didn't try -vc null and it just comes to my mind) but
> mencoder -ovc frameno does it at maximum speed. Anyways, we are talking
> about seconds here since the audio streams are about 90 MB small (pcm format).
>
> -Clemens

Oh yeah, I forgot that part. When using -ao pcm, mplayer reports that
`-vc null -vo null' will result in the fastest dumping, but using
`-vc dummy' is much much faster for me (the "dummy" video codec doesn't
exist). Ogmtools readme suggests `-vc dummy -vo null -hardframedrop',
but I can't see any difference between this and simply `-vc dummy'. At
this point, I suspect disk I/O is the bottleneck anyway.

In any case, all I meant by saving time is less commands to type in. :)

-Corey