[MPlayer-users] VP5 support Planned?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Apr 8 01:30:23 CEST 2003

ephemeron at softhome.net wrote:
> on Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:15:07 +0200,
> Arpi wrote:
>
>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hi,
>>

>>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
>>>DOCS/bugreports.html]
>

>>>Greetings!
>>>
>>>I was curious as to whether On2's VP5 codec was in any stages
>>>of being supported on mplayer for the future?
>>
>>is there any codec freely available, except their buggy win32
>>realplayer plugin (!=codec)?
>

> Isn't the theora codec based on code donated by On2 to the vorbis
> project?

Theora is based on VP3:
http://www.theora.org/theorafaq.html

There was some traffic on the ffmpeg-devel mailing list a while back
about incorporating theora into libavcodec, but I haven't heard anything
more about that in a long time.

VP5, I suppose, will remain proprietary... :(

Though, I've never read anything concrete about how vp5 stands up to
divx (or libavcodec mpeg-4). On2 claims it to be better, of course...

-Corey