[MPlayer-users] problem with subtitles

Kalin KOZHUHAROV kalin at ThinRope.net
Wed Apr 9 07:49:46 CEST 2003

Tathagata Banerjee wrote:
> i wanted to create a unified avi of video and subtitles. i tried
>
> $ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en -dumpstream -dumpfile rashomon.vob
>
> but the resulting file did not contain subs. so next i tried
>
> $ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en -dumpsub
>
> this exited with the message:
>
> <message>
> demux: File doesn't contain the selected audio or video stream.
> core dumped ;)
> </message>
>
> that second line is of course a joke, as someone pointed out on this
> list a few days ago.

Did you try mplayer -v -dvd 1 -slang en ? Do it now and see whether you can see the subtitles.
You cannot? Now you know why there were not present in the dumpfile. Next, read about -sid.
And always (ALWAYS!) use -v, you can find your problemas easier.

> then i tried
>
> $ mencoder -dvd 1 -slang en -vobsubout rashomon -vobsuboutid en -ovc \
> copy -oac copy -o /dev/null
>
> i got two files called rashomon.sub and rashomon.idx. but mplayer
> doesn't seem to be able to use them. i tried playing rashomon.vob with
> "-sub rashomon.sub" and without it, but there are no subtitles. am i
> making a silly mistake?
Yes. RTFM. By the way here it is not very clear in the man page that you don't put the .sub extension :-) If you have read the DOCS, I am sure you'll seee it somewhere.
You mix -sub (text subtitles) and -vobsub (picture) ! You are extracting with -vobsubout, don't you find it logical to play it with -vobsub?

      -sub <subtitle file>
              Use/display this subtitle file.

      -vobsub <vobsub file without extension>
              Specify  the  VobSub  files that are to be used for
              subtitle.  This is the full pathname without exten-
              sions, i.e. without the '.idx', '.ifo' or '.sub'.

mplayer -v -vobsub rashomon rashomon.vob.

> my second problem is, i want to create a single avi that will contain
> audio,video and subtitles. how do i do it from rashomon.* ?
you almost did it. Try again without extracting the subtitles.

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -sid 0 -o new.avi

Kalin.

--
||//,_/>     WWW: http://ThinRope.net/*