[MPlayer-users] subtitles options (and related) little mess :-)

Kalin KOZHUHAROV kalin at ThinRope.net
Wed Apr 9 08:43:39 CEST 2003

After just answering to Tathagata, I started thinking...

Isn't it logical that we have the following options:

Audio:           | Text Subs:        | value          | example
-aid             | -sid              | number         |0,12,128
-alang           | -slang            | language code  |en,ja,hu

DVD (picture) subs:
playing          | encoding          | value          | example
-vobsubid        | -vobsuboutid      | number         | 0,2,5
-vobsublang      | -vobsuboutlang    | language code  | ja,hu,fr
-vobsub          | -vobsubout        | base           | movie, Terminator2

At present -vobsuboutid expects language code as opposed to -vobsubid expecting number, which is confusing at least. -vobsuboutid should be called -vobsuboutlang.

Current -vobsuboutindex should be renamed to -vobsuboutid.

There is no -vobsublang. To implement it we need to parse the ifo file. But isn't it done anyway? No ifo file - no usage of -vobsublang

So then you can use it like this:

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -vobsubout movie -vobsublang en -o frameno.avi
mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -vobsubout movie -vobsubid 2 -vobsuboutlang ja -vobsuboutid 3 -o frameno.avi
mplayer -vobsub movie -vobsublang ja movie.avi
mplayer -sub downloadedsubsfile -slang hu movie.avi
mplayer -sub downloadedsubsfile -slang hu -vobsub movie -vobsublang ja movie.avi

First line is extracting an English subtitle (the first en found on the DVD ifo); -vobsuboutlang is en (copied), -vobsuboutid is default 0 or if easy to implement the first free index in the movie.idx file

Second line specifically extracts subtitle 2 (i.e. 3rd subtitle) and puts it at index 3 (complains if there is index 3 and/or overwrites it or bails) and sets its language to Japanese.

Third line plays movie.avi displaying vobsubs from movie.idx/.sub for Japanese (or complains if no ja subs are found)

Forth line plays movie.avi with text subs (say donloaded from the Net) in hungarian.

Fifth line plays movie.avi with text subs in Hungarian and vobsubs in Japanese (just an example to show diff between -slang and -vobsublang).

What do you think?
Do I better post this to the developers list??? It got too long for here :-)

And taking it further....

What about having -vobsubfile / -vobsuboutfile instead of  -vobsub / -vobsubout ? Also -afile (-audiofile) -aoutfile -sfile (-sub) -soutfile (after finding a decent OCR). Leaving the old options for some time and taking them out of the DOCS?

I know this means a lot of work ;-)

Kalin.

P.S. Imagine the day when we will need/use:

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang hu -aoutlang ja -o new.ja.avi

--
||//,_/>     WWW: http://ThinRope.net/*