[MPlayer-users] Re: problem with subtitles

Tathagata Banerjee tathagatabanerjee at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 11:26:03 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 12:36, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Yeah, of course it doesn't. You can't burn the subs onto the picture
> without reencoding.

thanks for that tip. encoding from the vob with "-sid 0" is doing the
trick. i now have what i wanted. but i'm curious to know why

$ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en

without "-sid 0" is working on my machine if it is not supposed to work,
as kalin pointed out.

> Of course Kalin's advise was rather bad, but since
> AVI files can't embed text subs or vobsub data, it's the only way
> without using a separate sub file or else using .ogm.

not the only way, as it turns out. i can encode from the vob, too. the
vob was created with

$ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en -dumpstream -dumpfile rashomon.vob

i have no idea what an ogm is. rtfm -ing now.

- t.

--
cogito, ergo es.