[MPlayer-users] mencoder: preserving DVD chapters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 12 03:07:34 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:17:05PM -0700, Shane Wegner wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Does anyone know of a way to preserve the DVD chapter
> boundaries in a DVD encoded with mencoder?  There are
> concerts which, on the DVD, are split nicely on track
> boundaries and I'd like to do the same thing in the
> resulting .avi.

Yep, encode them each in separate avi files, as follows:

mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 1-1 -o chap1.avi ...
mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 2-2 -o chap2.avi ...
mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 3-3 -o chap3.avi ...

If you want, you can combine some chapters, using something like
-chapter 2-4 to put all of 2,3,4 in one file.

Rich