[MPlayer-users] Strange problem with getting proper file size of my 2CD movies.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 13 23:18:41 CEST 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 10:03:34AM +0200, Jarek Darnowski wrote:
> Hello
> I have problems with encoding some movies to 2CD. Mencoder produces avi files
> which are about 1GB long (or less) instead of 1.4GB. Here's what i do:
>
> 01. mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm $INPUT
> 02. normalize --peak audiodump.wav
> 03. lame --r3mix audiodump.wav
> 04. mencoder -mc 0 -ovc frameno -oac copy -o frameno.avi -audiofile
> audiodump.wav.mp3 $INPUT (to get right bitrate for movie with lame --r3mix)
>     ($INPUT = -dvd 1(2,3,4 etc), film-dvd.avi)

Could I ask what on earth is the point of this????????

If you're encoding the audio file with lame ahead of time, you already
know the audio size. Therefore, using the "audio pre-pass" with -ovc
frameno is totally worthless, and it may even be buggy with
-audiofile. Instead, you can just use -audiofile in pass 1/2 to read
from audiodump.wav.mp3.

Rich