[MPlayer-users] which are the minimum requirements for mplayer?

Steffen Hein steffen-hein at gmx.de
Mon Apr 14 08:26:59 CEST 2003

Am Montag, 14. April 2003 00:16 schrieb Scognito:
> I  want to know if i can see divx on my Pentium1 166 with 32 Mb ram.

It needs at least MMX. I can watch small-resolution divx-files on my 166mmx
notebook. Best would be, if you have a somewhat newer gfx-card that supports
xv since unaccelerated video output eats cpu time. If not, at least DGA
should be supported.

Use good sound drivers. Try both: alsa and oss drivers and look which one uses
less CPU.

In both cases (audio and video): Forget the SDL drivers (more compatible but
much too slow)

Be shure to compile mplayer with gcc 3.2. That gave me a noticable
performance-boost over 2.95.

And last but not least: -framedrop is a must.

 ~sth