[MPlayer-users] aspect ratios and dxr3

Guillaume Cocatre-Zilgien spam at cnil.fr
Tue Apr 15 23:15:05 CEST 2003

Hello,

In order to encode DivX films in such a way that they will be displayed
correctly on my 4:3 CRT monitor as well as on my 16:9 TV, I crop my
DVD's to get rid of black bars, and keep their encoded aspect (orginally
5:4, black bars included) when scaling them. In extenso, they will be
displayed correctly on a 4:3 display while using their aspect ratio
information (4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1), as well as on a 16:9 TV while
disregarding it (which is exactly what happens when reading a DVD
movie). This is explained on the following page (divx examples are
available):
http://docs.skamp.net/digital/cropping-scaling.html

I've a problem, though, when it comes to using my DXR3 decoder to output
  streams to my TV. It seems like MPlayer has no other choice than 4:3
and 16:9 aspect ratios. Thus, although it doesn't matter for 4:3 videos,
in order to watch movies more or less correctly, I have to:

- let MPlayer use the aspect ratio information for 2.35:1 divx movies,
otherwise they will be displayed in 4:3 instead of 5:3 as expected;

- disregard the aspect ratio information for everything else (16:9 divx
movies, 16:9 and 2.35:1 DVD's).

The problem comes obviously with 2.35:1 divx movies. So, my guess is
that my TV can't understand anything else than 4:3 and 16:9 streams; am
I right, or am I missing something? If I'm right, is there any other
solution than using the -noaspect switch all the time except for 2.35:1
divx movies? Note that DXR3's aspect switch and MPlayer's -monitoraspect
one don't change anything in this case.

Regards,

--
Guillaume Cocatre-Zilgien