[MPlayer-users] GUI

cit at supercit.homeip.net cit at supercit.homeip.net
Wed Apr 16 03:21:50 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:15:21PM -0400, Bruce Park wrote:
>  I'm new to mplayer so please keep this in my mind when if you think that
> these questions are fairly easy to answer.
>  I've successfully compiled mplayer from source and I'm trying to use
> mplayer with GUI components but I'm running into trouble. I used
> '--enable-gui' option when I ran ./configure and there were no problems
> thus far. The INSTALL file stated that I needed to download a skin for GUI
> support. I downloaded the Blue skin and moved this directory to
> /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skins. This didn't work so I took a look at the
> manual and they state two things.
> 1. specify gui=yes in your config file
> 2. ln -s $PREFIX/bin/mplayer $PREFIX/bin/gmplayer , and call gmplayer
> instead
>  Regaring the first on that list, what config file do I need to edit? As
> far as I'm concerned, the only conf file that exists is codecs.conf. I'm
> assuming that I need an mplayer.conf but the original one that should lie
> in /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf does NOT exist.

~/.mplayer/config

> Along with this,
> there are other files that don't exist. Some of them are: gui.conf,
> input.conf, font.desc. I'm curious to know if the compilation has anything
> to do with these files missing.   Do I need to create them by hand?
>  Second, do I have need to make a softlink as stated in the second list? I
> don't see why that's necessary since I'm under the impression that mplayer
> and gmplayer are two different binary executables.

in my case gmplayer is a symlink to mplayer
however i don t have gui=yes in my config file and gmplayer launch the
gui, whereas mplayer work in console
i don t know really how it works, but try to create the symlink and the
config file and see what it does

i hope that it could help

cit